In addition to the journal, I’ve started logging thought-provoking and practical articles on Product Management and related fields. I hope you’ll find them as illuminating as I have! The last commit (#001) can be found here.
In this week’s commit:
- Experiments at Airbnb (Airbnb): In-depth look at how the startup tests new features and improvements. A little technical – you’ll see p-values and whatnot – but an eye opener.
- This Product Prioritization System Nabbed Pandora 70 Million Monthly Users with Just 40 Engineers (First Round) – good framework for thinking, planning and getting buy-in at the discovery / early stage of a product.
- Coordinating with Cards (Kickstarter) – How the development train runs at Kickstarter (with Trello’s help).
Design & UX
- The Dead Simple Way Google Ventures Unlocks Great Ideas (Fast CoDesign): Don’t be misled by the title, it’s actually a pretty good UX piece – this is a really cool idea for getting agreement and feedback on designs, features etc. by replacing the Post-it note with those small, circular stickers.
- Perfecting Your Personas (Cooper): Some classic principles on thinking through personas. Applicable to more than UX!
- 8 Tips from Apple’s Official Guide to App Design (Fast CoDesign): Not new, but a good reminder, especially how content should triumph the interface – you’re not there to scratch your design itch, you’re serving the user.
PM Skills & Principles
- How can I learn to be a good Product Manager? (David Lifson’s answer on Quora) – some really good principles for a PM wannabe
- The Science of Problem Solving (rs.io): A bit of a long read on tactics to approach problem solving. Which is a bulk of what PMs do!
- 6 Tactics to Becoming a Better Negotiator (Fast Company): Because sometimes you need to make a point!
Hope you find the articles and reads as useful as I did. I’d love to hear you thoughts (in comment or tweet). Do consider signing up for the mailing list as well!